Tips for Awesome Assemblies for Schools
Download a PDF of this document: EarthCapades Assembly Tips (2 pages)
Our 20 plus years of experience in presenting environmental education programs for kids has taught us a few things! Here are some suggestions for your school to have best possible assembly experience.
1. CONFIRMATION: Once we have scheduled a date for your school, you will receive a performance agreement that needs to be reviewed, signed and returned. Please verify the date and time(s), and make sure that it is listed on your school’s master calendar. Please inform teachers when their classes will be attending so that they can be prepared for a fun and highly educational assembly program.
2. REMINDER: You will receive a reminder approximately 1 week before the assembly date. Please give the custodian the 2nd page of the reminder so they can be ready and prepared. One of our performers will also call you a few days before the assembly to make sure everything is ready.
3. STAGE: The stage should be completely clear 1 hour before the performance start time, so the performers can immediately start setting up. Please inform any faculty members utilizing the performance space that it will be unavailable for 1 hour before the performance until approximately 1/2 hour after the performance. Performances must be presented indoors.
4. NUMBER OF STUDENTS: Each assembly is limited to 350 students. We’ve found that this is the optimal maximum number for the best possible learning experience.
5. SOUND, LIGHTING & POWER OUTLET: Please have your sound system, stage lighting, and a power outlet available. A well-lit stage truly adds to the quality of the audience’s experience. If you do not have a working sound system, please inform us prior to the assembly date so we can make arrangements.
6. START TIME: Our performers have prepared material for the full amount of assembly time, and we want your students to benefit from every minute of it! Please have students seated and ready a few minutes BEFORE the assembly start time. For example, if your assembly starts at 9:00 AM, please have students seated by 8:57 AM.
7. AUDIENCE SEATING/GRADES ATTENDING: Because of the high action and juggling in our program, please allow 10 feet between the stage and the first row of students. We prefer a center aisle. Schools often seat the youngest students closest to the stage, with the older students in the back. If you have a mixed grade assembly, try seating the older grades on one side of the center aisle and the younger grades on the other side of the aisle. The K students are new at being audience members, and this way they can watch and learn. Please tell the older students that the younger students are looking to them as an example. Additionally, seating the older students near the front helps them to stay engaged. Also, if any of the scheduled grades will be unable to attend, please inform us prior to the assembly.
9. INTRODUCTION: The principal or a school representative must be available to introduce each performance. We provide a written introduction for them to read. Please have the principal or school representative check in with the performer(s) 5 minutes before show time. The introduction will also remind the students of appropriate audience behavior. Audience behavior is also a part of Department of Education Curriculum Standards nationwide.
11. TEACHERS’ ATTENDANCE & ATTENTION: Teachers must be present with their students during the performance. This sounds obvious but we have been left with a room filled with hundreds of students and no teachers!
Please set a positive example for the students by paying attention and avoiding chatting with other teachers. We know you are busy and are juggling many things (like our performers!), but we have specifically designed the shows to engage both the students and the teachers, so everyone can enjoy and learn. We also appreciate when teachers take the initiative to help audience members to settle down.
12. EVALUATION SURVEY: We rely on your feedback and we really appreciate you! If your assembly was sponsored by an agency, you will be emailed a quick and easy survey to be completed after the assembly. Filling out this survey only takes a few minutes, and ensures that the sponsor receives valuable feedback. Your participation helps your school continue to benefit from these free programs.
If your show is not sponsored, and you’d like to give us feedback, we’d like to hear from you. Send us your feedback here.
Thank you for reading! Review our Frequently Asked Questions.
We look forward to sharing our unique blend of education and entertainment with you.
For any additional questions or concerns, please contact us.